Udskriv Udskriv
Switch language
Rigshospitalet - en del af Københavns Universitetshospital

Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt Complications in the European Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus Multicenter Study

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review


  1. Stereotactic Brain Biopsy in Eloquent Areas Assisted by Navigated Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation: a Technical Case Report

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  1. Endoskopisk behandling af hydrocefalus

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  2. B-waves are present in patients without intracranial pressure disturbances

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  3. Lumbar puncture position influences intracranial pressure

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  4. Living with the cerebellar mutism syndrome: long-term challenges of the diagnosis

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  5. Reference values for intracranial pressure and lumbar cerebrospinal fluid pressure: a systematic review

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftReviewForskningpeer review

  • Alberto Feletti
  • Domenico d'Avella
  • Carsten Wikkelsø
  • Petra Klinge
  • Per Hellström
  • Jos Tans
  • Michael Kiefer
  • Ulrich Meier
  • Johannes Lemcke
  • Vincenzo Paternò
  • Lennart Stieglitz
  • Martin Sames
  • Karel Saur
  • Mariann Kordás
  • Dusan Vitanovic
  • Andreu Gabarrós
  • Feixa Llarga
  • Michael Triffaux
  • Alain Tyberghien
  • Marianne Juhler
  • Steen Hasselbalch
  • Kristina Cesarini
  • Katarina Laurell
Vis graf over relationer

BACKGROUND: Ventriculoperitoneal shunt (VP-shunt) is the standard of treatment for idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus (iNPH). However, a thorough investigation of VP-shunt complications in this population is lacking.

OBJECTIVE: To present the analysis and the rates of complications progressively occurring during the first year after shunt surgery in the patients with iNPH included in the European multicenter (EU-iNPH) study.

METHODS: Patients (n = 142) were prospectively included in the EU-iNPH study by 13 institutions. All patients received a programmable VP-shunt. One hundred fifteen patients completed the 12-mo follow-up. Reexaminations were performed 1, 3, and 12 mo after surgery. Data regarding symptomatic over- or underdrainage, infections, malposition, subdural collections, and shunt surgery were collected and analyzed.

RESULTS: Thirty patients (26%) experienced symptoms due to shunt underdrainage. Symptomatic overdrainage was reported in 10 (9%). Shunt adjustments were made in 43 (37%). Shunt malposition was recognized as the primary cause of shunt malfunction in 8 (7%), while only 1 infection (0.9%) occurred. Subdural hematoma was diagnosed in 7 (6%) and was treated by increasing the opening pressure of the valve in 5 patients. Hygroma was diagnosed in 10 (9%), requiring surgery in 1 patient. Overall, 17 patients (15%) underwent 19 shunt surgeries.

CONCLUSION: The advances in valve technology, a careful opening pressure setting, and rigorous follow-up allow a significant reduction of complications, which can be usually managed nonsurgically within the first 3 to 6 mo.

TidsskriftOperative neurosurgery
Udgave nummer1
Sider (fra-til)97-102
Antal sider6
StatusUdgivet - 1 jul. 2019

Bibliografisk note

Copyright © 2018 by the Congress of Neurological Surgeons.

ID: 58215053