Print page Print page
Switch language
The Capital Region of Denmark - a part of Copenhagen University Hospital

Study protocol for OptimalTTF-2: enhancing Tumor Treating Fields with skull remodeling surgery for first recurrence glioblastoma: a phase 2, multi-center, randomized, prospective, interventional trial

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  1. Forecasting lung cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence to year 2030

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  2. Tobacco use in the Myeloproliferative neoplasms: symptom burden, patient opinions, and care

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  3. Minimally important differences for the EORTC QLQ-C30 in prostate cancer clinical trials

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  4. Cardiovascular disease in women with breast cancer - a nationwide cohort study

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  5. Immune-related protein signature in serum stratify relapsed mantle cell lymphoma patients based on risk

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  1. Colonic lactulose fermentation has no impact on glucagon-like peptide-1 and peptide-YY secretion in healthy young men

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  2. Progressive alcohol-related liver fibrosis is characterised by imbalanced collagen formation and degradation

    Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

  3. Novel Anti-inflammatory Treatments in Cirrhosis. A Literature-Based Study

    Research output: Contribution to journalReviewResearchpeer-review

View graph of relations

BACKGROUND: OptimalTTF-2 is a randomized, comparative, multi-center, investigator-initiated, interventional study aiming to test skull remodeling surgery in combination with Tumor Treating Fields therapy (TTFields) and best physicians choice medical oncological therapy for first recurrence in glioblastoma patients. OptimalTTF-2 is a phase 2 trial initiated in November 2020. Skull remodeling surgery consists of five burrholes, each 15 mm in diameter, directly over the tumor resection cavity. Preclinical research indicates that this procedure enhances the effect of Tumor Treating Fields considerably. We recently concluded a phase 1 safety/feasibility trial that indicated improved overall survival and no additional toxicity. This phase 2 trial aims to validate the efficacy of the proposed intervention.

METHODS: The trial is designed as a comparative, 1:1 randomized, minimax two-stage phase 2 with an expected 70 patients to a maximum sample size of 84 patients. After 12-months follow-up of the first 52 patients, an interim futility analysis will be performed. The two trial arms will consist of either a) TTFields therapy combined with best physicians choice oncological treatment (control arm) or b) skull remodeling surgery, TTFields therapy and best practice oncology (interventional arm). Major eligibility criteria include age ≥ 18 years, 1st recurrence of supratentorial glioblastoma, Karnofsky performance score ≥ 70, focal tumor, and lack of significant co-morbidity. Study design aims to detect a 20% increase in overall survival after 12 months (OS12), assuming OS12 = 40% in the control group and OS12 = 60% in the intervention group. Secondary endpoints include hazard rate ratio of overall survival and progression-free survival, objective tumor response rate, quality of life, KPS, steroid dose, and toxicity. Toxicity, objective tumor response rate, and QoL will be assessed every 3rd month. Endpoint data will be collected at the end of the trial, including the occurrence of suspected unexpected serious adverse reactions (SUSARs), unacceptable serious adverse events (SAEs), withdrawal of consent, or loss-to-follow-up.

DISCUSSION: New treatment modalities are highly needed for first recurrence glioblastoma. Our proposed treatment modality of skull remodeling surgery, Tumor Treating Fields, and best practice medical oncological therapy may increase overall survival significantly.

TRIAL REGISTRATION: Identifier: NCT0422399 , registered 13. January 2020.

Original languageEnglish
Article number1010
JournalBMC Cancer
Issue number1
Pages (from-to)1010
Publication statusPublished - 9 Sep 2021

Bibliographical note

© 2021. The Author(s).

    Research areas

  • Adult, Brain Neoplasms/surgery, Follow-Up Studies, Glioblastoma/mortality, Humans, Karnofsky Performance Status, Neoplasm Recurrence, Local/mortality, Osteotomy/methods, Progression-Free Survival, Prospective Studies, Quality of Life, Skull/surgery, Time Factors, Transducers

ID: 68904018