Background: Pulmonary artery enlargement is a marker of pulmonary hypertension. We aimed to determine the proportion with pulmonary artery enlargement among well-treated persons with human immunodeficiency virus HIV (PWH) and uninfected controls. Methods: PWH with a chest computed tomography were included from the ongoing Copenhagen Comorbidity in HIV Infection (COCOMO) study. Age and sex-matched uninfected controls were recruited from the Copenhagen General Population Study. Pulmonary artery enlargement was defined as a ratio of >1 between the diameter of the main pulmonary artery (at the level of its bifurcation) and the diameter of the ascending aorta. Results: In total, 900 PWH were included, and 44 (5%) had a pulmonary artery-aorta ratio (PA:A) >1. After adjustment for age, sex, and body mass index, obesity (adjusted odds ratio, 4.33; 95% confidence interval, 1.76-10.65; P =. 001) and injection drug use (IDU) (4.90; 1.00-18.46; P =. 03) were associated with higher odds of having a PA:A >1, and pulmonary indices and smoking status were not. HIV seropositivity was borderline associated with a PA:A >1 (adjusted odds ratio, 1.89; 95% confidence interval,. 92-3.85; P =. 08). Conclusions: A PA:A >1 was common in PWH. Obesity and IDU were independently associated with this finding and HIV serostatus was borderline associated with it, but HIV-related factors were not. Increased awareness may be appropriate in obese PWH and those with IDU.

Original languageEnglish
Article numberjiaa339
JournalThe Journal of infectious diseases
Issue number1
Pages (from-to)94-100
Number of pages7
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2021


  • Computed Tomography
  • HCV co-infection
  • HIV
  • Persons With HIV
  • Pulmonary Arterial Enlargement
  • Pulmonary Hypertension
  • computed tomography
  • persons with HIV
  • HCV coinfection
  • pulmonary hypertension
  • pulmonary arterial enlargement


Dive into the research topics of 'Pulmonary Arterial Enlargement in Well-Treated Persons With Human Immunodeficiency Virus'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this