AIMS: To establish a set of quality indicators (QIs) for the cardiovascular (CV) assessment and management of patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery (NCS).
METHODS AND RESULTS: The Quality Indicator Committee of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care (ESAIC) in collaboration with Task Force members of the 2022 ESC Guidelines on CV assessment and management of patients undergoing NCS followed the ESC methodology for QI development. This included (1) identification, by constructing a conceptual framework of care, of domains of the CV assessment, and management of patients with risk factors or established cardiovascular disease (CVD) who are considered for or undergoing NCS, (2) development of candidate QIs following a systematic literature review, (3) selection of the final set of QIs using a modified Delphi method, and (4) evaluation of the feasibility of the developed QIs. In total, eight main and nine secondary QIs were selected across six domains: (1) structural framework (written policy), (2) patient education and quality of life (CV risk discussion), (3) peri-operative risk assessment (indication for diagnostic tests), (4) peri-operative risk mitigation (use of hospital therapies), (5) follow-up (post-discharge assessment), and (6) outcomes (major CV events).
CONCLUSION: We present the 2022 ESC/ESAIC QIs for the CV assessment and management of patients with risk factors or established CVD who are considered for or are undergoing NCS y. These indicators are supported by evidence from the literature, underpinned by expert consensus, and align with the 2022 ESC Guidelines on CV assessment and management of patients undergoing NCS.
|Journal||European heart journal. Quality of care & clinical outcomes|
|Number of pages||11|
|Publication status||Published - 21 Jun 2023|
- Cardiovascular Diseases/diagnosis
- Patient Discharge
- Quality Indicators, Health Care
- Quality of Life
- Guidelines center dot Non-cardIac surgery center dot Pre-operative cardiac risk assessment center dot Pre-operative cardiac testing center dot Pre-operative coronary artery revascularization center dot Perioperative cardiac management center dot Anaesthesiology center dot Post-operative cardiac surveillance center dot Quality indicators center dot Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Pre-operative cardiac testing
- Quality indicators
- Non-cardIac surgery
- Pre-operative cardiac risk assessment
- Perioperative cardiac management
- Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Pre-operative coronary artery revascularization
- Post-operative cardiac surveillance