This is a case report about two young men with extensive recreational use of nitrous oxide (N2O) in bulbs. Vitamin B12 deficiency was found in the first patient as well as signs of myelopathy on magnetic resonance imaging, and the second patient had acute liver injury. Physical examinations showed severe pathology with loss of motor function and affected sensory function in both patients. Recreational use of N2O is increasing in Denmark, but the extent of N2O abuse is not known. Attention to these effects of N2O abuse may be important when treating patients with acute N2O-intoxication.
|Translated title of the contribution||Acute neuropathy and liver injury following the abuse of nitrous oxide|
|Journal||Ugeskrift for Laeger|
|Publication status||Published - 13 May 2019|