The Susy Safe project overview after the first four years of activity

Susy Safe Working Group, Per Cayé-Thomasen (Medlem af forfattergruppering)

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: to collect relevant, up-to-date, representative, accurate, systematic information, related to foreign bodies (FB) injuries.

METHODS: The "Susy Safe" registry, a DG SANCO co-funded project gathering data on choking in all EU Countries and beyond, was established in order to create surveillance systems for suffocation injuries able to provide a risk-analysis profile for each of the products causing the injury. Main findings after 4 years of activities are resumed here.

RESULTS: 16,878 FB injuries occurred in children aged 0-14 years have been recorded in the SUSY SAFE databases; 8046 cases have been reported from countries outside EU. Almost one quart of the cases involving very young children (less than one year of age) presented a FB located in bronchial tract, thus representing a major threat to their health. Esophageal foreign bodies are still characterizing injuries occurred to children younger than one year, in older children the most common locations are the ears and the nose. FB type was specified in 10,564 cases. Food objects represented the 26% of the cases, whereas non-food objects were the remaining 74%. Among food objects, the most common were bones, nuts and seed, whereas for the non-food objects pearls, balls and marbles were observed most commonly (29%). Coins were involved in 15% of the non-food injuries and toys represented the 4% of the cases.

CONCLUSIONS: this data collection system should be been taken into consideration for the calculation of the risk of injuries in order to provide the EU Commission with all the relevant estimates on FB injuries.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftInternational Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology
Vol/bind76 Suppl 1
Sider (fra-til)S3-11
ISSN0165-5876
DOI
StatusUdgivet - 14 maj 2012
Udgivet eksterntJa

Fingeraftryk

Dyk ned i forskningsemnerne om 'The Susy Safe project overview after the first four years of activity'. Sammen danner de et unikt fingeraftryk.

Citationsformater