BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: We aimed to study the prevalence of acute cardiac disorders in patients with suspected ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) and non-significant coronary artery disease (CAD).
METHODS: From January to October 2012 we consecutively included patients admitted with suspected STEMI and non-significant CAD (coronary artery stenosis diameter <50%). Patients were diagnosed with acute cardiac disorder in the presence of elevated cardiac biomarkers (troponin T >50ng/l or creatine kinase MB >4μg/l) or dynamic ECG changes (ST-segment changes or T-wave inversion).
RESULTS: Of the 871 patients admitted with suspected STEMI, 11% (n=95) had non-significant CAD. Of these, 67% (n=64) had elevated cardiac biomarkers or dynamic ECG changes and were accordingly diagnosed with acute cardiac disorders. In the remaining 33% (n=31) of patients, cardiac biomarkers were normal and ECG changes remained stationary.
CONCLUSIONS: Acute cardiac disorders were diagnosed in two thirds of patients with suspected STEMI and non-significant CAD.
|Tidsskrift||Journal of Electrocardiology|
|Status||Udgivet - 2 jun. 2014|