Operational experiences from the general implementation of HPV self-sampling to Danish screening non-attenders

9 Citationer (Scopus)


The Danish cervical cancer screening program is a cost-free cancer prevention program for all Danish resident women aged 23-64 years. The coverage is 73%, but screening attendance is slowly declining. Notwithstanding, almost half of all newly diagnosed cervical cancers are found amongst screening non-attenders. To increase screening attendance, the Capital Region of Denmark implemented HPV self-sampling as an alternative offer to women not attending the regular screening offer. This was an opt-in offer to 57,717 screening non-attending women in 2017-2018. They received an invitation letter and could opt-in by letter, phone, e-mail, or website. Invitation and return-of-kit reminders were used in the set-up. HPV positive women were recommended to go to their General Practitioner (GP) for a follow-up sample. HPV negative women returned to the ordinary screening program. Of all invited women, 15,501 opted-in (27%). The purpose designed website was the most frequent used method of response, 63% opted in by the HPV-self sampling website. Use of invitation and return-of-kit reminders generated 8.6% and 6.1% additional responses and participation, respectively, underlining the importance of timely communication. Overall, 17% returned the HPV self-sampling kit for analysis. In addition, 14% had a regular clinician collected screening sample after receiving the invitation for self-sampling, leading to a total screening of 31% of the invited women. HPV prevalence was 15% and 92% of the women positive for HPV adhered to the recommended follow-up.

TidsskriftPreventive Medicine
Sider (fra-til)1-8
Antal sider8
StatusUdgivet - jul. 2022


Dyk ned i forskningsemnerne om 'Operational experiences from the general implementation of HPV self-sampling to Danish screening non-attenders'. Sammen danner de et unikt fingeraftryk.