Forskning
Udskriv Udskriv
Switch language
Region Hovedstaden - en del af Københavns Universitetshospital
Udgivet

Denosumab vs. zoledronic acid treatment in post-menopausal breast cancer: a 2-year prospective observational study

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  1. Quantification of biotin in plasma samples by column switching liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometry

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  2. Prognostic utility of serum YKL-40 in patients with cervical cancer

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  3. Estimation of the celiac disease prevalence in Denmark and the diagnostic value of HLA-DQ2/DQ8

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  4. Circadian variations in plasma concentrations of cholecystokinin and gastrin in man

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  1. Diurnal variation of magnesium and the mineral metabolism in patients with chronic kidney disease

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  2. Discovery of thymosin β4 as a human exerkine and growth factor

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  3. Mortality from cardiovascular disease in women with breast cancer - a nationwide registry study

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  4. High bone mineral density in lifelong trained female team handball players and young elite football players

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Vis graf over relationer

Adjuvant treatment for post-menopausal women with early breast cancer (BC) includes aromatase inhibitors (AI), known to decrease bone mineral density (BMD). In this study, we investigate whether denosumab is a valid second option for patients unable to receive standard adjuvant i.v. zoledronic acid (ZA). In total, 212 patients have been evaluated after they did not receive ZA. Of those 194 were included. After evaluation by an endocrinologist, all patients were offered ZA as their first choice and 15% accepted (N = 29). The remaining 85% were offered denosumab (N = 165). All patients were followed prospectively with blood tests up to 24 months. DXA scans were performed at baseline and 24 months. No difference was observed between the two treatment groups at baseline, with regard to anthropometry and standard biochemistry. Markers of bone turnover (p-PINP, p-CTX, p-bone-specific alkaline phosphatase and p-osteocalcin) all showed significant suppression compared to baseline and remained suppressed throughout the 2 years. BMD showed small and significant increases at the spine (0.024 g/cm2) and total hip (0.019 g/cm2) in the denosumab group but no change at the femoral neck(-0.011g/cm2). In the ZA group, we observed no significant change at the spine (0.015 g/cm2) and total hip (-0.001g/cm2) and a small significant decrease at the femoral neck (-0.037 g/cm2). However, when we compared BMD change between the treatment groups, we found no significant difference.Conclusions: Our data indicate that for BC patients in AI treatment who refused or were not able to receive ZA treatment, denosumab might be recommended as a second choice. Regarding markers of bone turnover and BMD denosumab is equal to ZA.Summary: Women with early breast cancer receiving anti-estrogen treatment are at risk of developing osteoporosis.We followed 194 women receiving zoledronic acid (ZA) or denosumab for up to 2 years.We find that with regard to bone protection, denosumab is a viable alternative to ZA and might be recommended as a second choice.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftScandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation
Vol/bind81
Udgave nummer6
Sider (fra-til)425-431
Antal sider7
ISSN0036-5513
DOI
StatusUdgivet - okt. 2021

ID: 68603579