Forskning
Udskriv Udskriv
Switch language
Region Hovedstaden - en del af Københavns Universitetshospital
E-pub ahead of print

CGM readings during patient-reported symptomatic hypoglycemia: assessment of the ATTD consensus definition of CGM-recorded hypoglycemia

Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

DOI

  1. Efficacy of Bolus Calculation and Advanced Carbohydrate Counting in Type 2 Diabetes: A randomized clinical trial

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  2. STATE OF INSULIN PUMP USE IN THE CAPITAL REGION OF DENMARK

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftKonferenceabstrakt i tidsskriftForskning

  3. Cost of Treating Skin Problems in Patients with Diabetes who Use Insulin Pumps and/or Glucose Sensors

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  4. Insulin pump settings during breastfeeding in women with type 1 diabetes

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  5. Glucose Sensor Accuracy After Subcutaneous Glucagon Injections Near to Sensor Site

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  1. Gustatory sweating in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus: Prevalence and risk factors

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

  2. Acute hypoglycemia and risk of cardiac arrhythmias in insulin-treated type 2 diabetes and controls

    Publikation: Bidrag til tidsskriftTidsskriftartikelForskningpeer review

Vis graf over relationer

AIM: Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) is widely used in clinical practice and research to detect hypoglycemia. A consensus definition of CGM-recorded hypoglycemia is made by a group of international experts under the auspice of the Advanced Technologies and Treatments for Diabetes (ATTD). The purpose of this study is to compare the definition with patient-reported hypoglycemia.

METHOD: In a prospective, observational study of 186 patients with type 1 diabetes using blinded Medtronic iPro 2 CGM for 6 days, every patient-reported symptomatic hypoglycemic event and interstitial glucose values at the registration time were classified according to the ATTD definition of CGM-recorded hypoglycemia. For comparison between CGM and self-monitored blood glucose (SMBG) values the International Hypoglycemia Study Group (IHSG) classification of hypoglycemia and chi-square test were used.

RESULTS: A total of 321 events of symptomatic hypoglycemia were reported by 68% of the patients, corresponding to 2.0 ± 2.3 events (mean ± SD) per patient-week. A total of 206 (64%) events met the CGM consensus definition. In the remaining 115 (36%) not-confirmed events, 5 events had an IG <3.9 mmol/L which lasted <15 minutes. The overall mean IG value was 3.6 ± 1.1 mmol/L (median 3.1, range 2.2-10.4). In symptomatic hypoglycemic events with both CGM and SMBG data, SMBG confirmed significantly more symptomatic hypoglycemic events than CGM (p<0.001).

CONCLUSION: CGM-recorded hypoglycemia according to the consensus definition is present at two thirds of all patient-reported events when recorded by the Medtronic iPro 2 system. The recommended minimum duration of a hypoglycemic event of 15 minutes is supported by the study. SMBG measurements detect significantly more symptomatic hypoglycemic events than Medtronic iPro 2 CGM.

OriginalsprogEngelsk
TidsskriftDiabetes Technology & Therapeutics
ISSN1520-9156
DOI
StatusE-pub ahead of print - 27 sep. 2021

ID: 68083851